[Numpy-discussion] numpy 2.0, what else to do?

David Cournapeau david@silveregg.co...
Mon Feb 15 05:24:36 CST 2010

David Cournapeau wrote:

> It is always an ABI change, but is mostly backward compatible (which is
> neither the case of matplotlib or scipy AFAIK).

This sentence does not make any sense: I meant that it is backward
compatible from an ABI POV, unless the structure PyArray_Array itself is
included in another structure (instead of merely being used).

Neither matplotlib or scipy do that AFAIK - the main use-case for that
would be to inherit from numpy array at the C level, but I doubt many
extensions do that. For people who do C++, that's the same problem as
changing a base class, which always break the ABI,

cheers,

David