[Numpy-discussion] numpy 2.0, what else to do?

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Feb 15 08:21:05 CST 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 05:24, David Cournapeau <david@silveregg.co.jp> wrote:
> David Cournapeau wrote:
>

>> It is always an ABI change, but is mostly backward compatible (which is
>> neither the case of matplotlib or scipy AFAIK).
>
> This sentence does not make any sense: I meant that it is backward
> compatible from an ABI POV, unless the structure PyArray_Array itself is
> included in another structure (instead of merely being used).
>
> Neither matplotlib or scipy do that AFAIK - the main use-case for that
> would be to inherit from numpy array at the C level, but I doubt many
> extensions do that. For people who do C++, that's the same problem as
> changing a base class, which always break the ABI,

Actually, it's PyArray_Descr, which corresponds to numpy.dtype, that
has been extended. That has even fewer possible use cases for
subtyping. I know of none.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."