[Numpy-discussion] Why does np.nan{min, max} clobber my array mask?

David Carmean dlc@halibut....
Mon Feb 15 19:51:44 CST 2010

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 03:22:04PM -0500, Pierre GM wrote:

> I'm sorry, I can't follow you. Can you post a simpler self-contained example I can play with ?
> Why using np.nanmin/max ? These functions are designed for ndarrays, to avoid using a masked array: can't you just use min/max on the masked array ?

I was using np.nanmin/max because I did not yet understand how masked arrays worked; perhaps the
docs for those methods need a note indicating that "If you can take the (small?) memory hit,
use Masked Arrays instead".   Now that I know different... I'm  going to drop it unless you
reall want to dig into it.