[Numpy-discussion] Updating Packages in 2.5 (win/numpy) and Related Matters

Scott Sinclair scott.sinclair.za@gmail....
Wed Feb 17 00:01:31 CST 2010

>On 17 February 2010 07:25,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:10 AM, Wayne Watson
> <sierra_mtnview@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Hi, I'm working on a 1800+ line program that uses tkinter. Here are the
>> messages I started getting recently. (I finally figured out how to copy
>> them.). The program goes merrily on its way despite them.
>>

>> s\sentuser>sentuser_20080716NoiseStudy7.py
>> C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\misc\__init__.py:25:
>> DeprecationWarning: Num
>> pyTest will be removed in the next release; please update your code to
>> use nose
>> or unittest
>>   test = NumpyTest().test
>
> DeprecationWarnings mean some some functionality in numpy (or scipy)
> has changed and the old way of doing things will be removed and be
> invalid in the next version.
>
> During depreciation the old code still works, but before you upgrade
> you might want to check whether and how much you use these functions
> and switch to the new behavior.
>
> In the case of numpy.test, it means that if you have tests written
> that use the numpy testing module, then you need to switch them to the
> new nose based numpy.testing. And you need to install nose for running
> numpy.test()

Wayne - The DeprecationWarnings are being raised by SciPy, not by your
code. You probably don't have a recent version of SciPy installed. The
most recent release of SciPy is 0.7.1 and works with NumPy 1.3.0. I
don't think you will see the warnings if you upgrade SciPy and NumPy
on your system.

Check your NumPy and SciPy versions at a python prompt as follows:

>>> import numpy as np
>>> print np.__version__
>>> import scipy as sp
>>> print sp.__version__

You will need to completely remove the old versions if you choose to
upgrade. You should be able to do this from "Add/Remove Programs".

Cheers,
Scott