[Numpy-discussion] Unable to install numpy-1.3.0 on WinXP (without Administrative rights)

Touisteur EmporteUneVache touisteur@gmail....
Wed Feb 17 17:24:46 CST 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to install numpy on a WinXP system, on which I have no
administrative rights.

Installation of Python-2.6 went OK, but the windows installer that I
downloaded on sourceforge for numpy (numpy-1.3.0-win32
-superpack-python2.6.exe) gives me an error pop-up window "Executing numpy
installer failed".

And when I ask the installer for the details, here's the displayed log :

Output folder: C:\Windows\Temp
   Install dir for actual installers is C:\DOCUME~1\user1\LOCALS~1\Temp
   "Target CPU handles SSE2"
   "Target CPU handles SSE3"
   "native install (arch value: native)"
   "Install SSE 3"
   Extract: *numpy*-1.3.0-sse3.exe... 100%
   Execute: "C:\Windows\Temp\*numpy*-1.3.0-sse3.exe"
   Completed

And of course then, typing "import numpy" in a python shell will just give
"ImportError: No module named numpy".

Seems I'm not the only one that encountered the problem ( see
http://old.nabble.com/Failed-installation-on-Windows-XP-td26316987.html#a26316987).

I'm wondering if this is known and/or fixed issue (my search on the
mailing-list and tickets archives has been fruitless, but I might have not
looked at the right places), and if so, what can I do to solve it ?

Cheers,
T.