[Numpy-discussion] Unable to install numpy-1.3.0 on WinXP (without Administrative rights)

Christoph Gohlke cgohlke@uci....
Wed Feb 17 22:04:16 CST 2010

On 2/17/2010 7:30 PM, David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Touisteur EmporteUneVache
> <touisteur@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to install numpy on a WinXP system, on which I have no
>> administrative rights.
>
> I think it is not possible to install NumPy for python 2.6 if you
> don't have admin priviledges. I believe the root of the problem is the
> lack of a right C runtime, and there is no easy way to install it
> without admin priviledges, and I have no idea how to fix this. The
> problem is specific to python 2.6 (more exactly because it was built
> with visual studio 2008), so using python 2.5 or 2.4 should not cause
> any issue if that's an option for you.
>
> The other solution is to ask your administrator to install the
> redistributable runtime from VS 2008,

If everything else fails you can try to install numpy manually: the file
numpy-1.3.0-sse3.exe, which is created in the %TEMP% directory during
the numpy-1.3.0-win32-superpack-python2.6.exe installation, is a
executable ZIP file and can be opened with any decent archive program,
e.g. WinRAR. From numpy-1.3.0-sse3.exe copy PLATLIB\numpy\* to
C:\Python26\sitepackages\numpy\ and SCRIPTS\* to C:\Python26\Scripts\.
Unlike many other packages, Numpy does not need to have the Microsoft
Visual C++ 2008 redistributable package installed to work.

To avoid the problem, numpy-1.3.0-sse3.exe could probably be linked
statically to MSVCRT9 like the bdist_wininst installers created by
Python distutils.

Christoph