[Numpy-discussion] Calling routines from a Fortran library using python

Nils Wagner nwagner@iam.uni-stuttgart...
Thu Feb 18 04:51:57 CST 2010

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 19:30:10 +0900
  David Cournapeau <david@silveregg.co.jp> wrote:
> Nils Wagner wrote:
>
>> How do I convert the .a library to a .so library ?
>
> You first "uncompress" the .a into a temporary
>directory, with ar x on
> Linux. Then, you group the .o together with gfortran
>-shared
> $LIST_OF_OBJECT + a few options. You can also look at
>how Atlas does it
> in its makefile.
>
> As Matthieu mentioned, if the .o are not compiled with
>-fPIC, you are
> screwed on 64 bits architectures (unless you statically
>link numpy in
> your python interpreter, but I doubt you want to go that
>road). It would
> be somewhat surprising if your vendor did not shared
>libraries
> available, though.
>
> cheers,
>
> David

Ok I have extracted the *.o files from the static library.

Applying the file command to the object files yields

ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV),
not stripped

What's that supposed to mean ?

Nils