[Numpy-discussion] numpy + ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) + unladen swallow

Bruce Southey bsouthey@gmail....
Mon Feb 22 11:31:09 CST 2010

On 02/22/2010 08:46 AM, Valery Khamenya wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know the formula works, but fail to reproduce it :)
>
> Issue #1. the following entry from numpy installation docs is perhaps
> out-of-date, at least as for ubuntu karmic:
>
>    sudo apt-get install gcc g77 python-dev atlas3-base-dev
>
> Neither g77 nor atlas3-base-dev are available.
>
> Perhaps, g77 from previous ubuntu distro could work, but it would be
> good to see what installation docs says about this trick.

You only need a C compiler for numpy. I do not use Ubuntu so I can not
help with it.

> Issue #2. The following definition of include_dirs in site.cfg doesn't
> seem to be used by gcc:
>
>    [DEFAULT]
>    include_dirs = /usr/local/include:/home/me/wrk/unladen-trunk/Include
>
> I build numpy like that:
>    PYTHONPATH= ~/wrk/unladen-trunk/python setup.py build
> Where the python executable is the one from the great "unladen-swallow" project.
>
> Such invocation leads fast to the following error:

> compile options: '-Inumpy/core/src -Inumpy/core/include -IInclude
> -I/home/vak/me/unladen-trunk -c'
> gcc: _configtest.c
> _configtest.c:1:20: error: Python.h: No such file or directory
>
> Indeed, the directory /home/me/wrk/unladen-trunk/Include isn't listed
> for "-I" flag
>
> Any hints?
>
> thanks in advance :)
>
> best regards
> --
> Valery

I do not have this problem when I use 'make altinstall'. So you probably
need to use the --prefix syntax:
$python setup.py install --prefix=
See:
http://docs.python.org/install/index.html#alternate-installation-unix-the-prefix-scheme