[Numpy-discussion] Building Windows binaries on OS X

Patrick Marsh patrickmarshwx@gmail....
Wed Feb 24 08:20:07 CST 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 5:19 AM, David Cournapeau <david@silveregg.co.jp>wrote:

> Ralf Gommers wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 3:42 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com
> > <mailto:cournape@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >

> >     So here is how I see things in the near future for release:
> >     - compile a simple binary installer for mac os x and windows (no need
> >     for doc or multiple archs) from 1.4.x
> >     - test this with the scipy binary out there (running the full test
> >     suites), ideally other well known packages as well (matplotlib,
> >     pytables, etc...).
> >     - if it works for you, or you cannot easily test it, put it for wide
> >     testing as a basis for the 1.4.0.1 binary
> >     - if it works, make a RC1 for Numpy 1.4.0.1 ("full" binaries).
> >
> >     I think we need to push this ASAP to recover from the current
> >     confusion w.r.t. binaries.
> >
> > That's a sensible plan, I'll start on it right away.
>
> Great. Let me know of any glitch.
>
> > Just to double-check, can the 1.4.x branch be released as-is? How about
> > the version, the version scheme major.minor.micro does not allow for
> > your proposed 1.4.0.1. Do you want to just drop the last .1 or make this
> > 1.4.1?
>
> Yes, 1.4.1 is fine. There are a few fixes besides the ABI fix now, so no
> need to complicate things further.
>
> I think 1.4.x can serve as the basis for 1.4.1 as is. I have not checked
> recently if it builds OK on MS compiler, but not much has changed.

I have the 2008 MSVC compiler already installed and can test  building with
Python 2.6 that this afternoon.  I have an old 2003 MSVC disc that I can use
to install MSVC 7.1 in parallel to allow me to test earlier versions as
well.

Cheers,
Patrick

> cheers,
>
> David

Patrick Marsh
Ph.D. Student / NSSL Liaison to the HWT
School of Meteorology / University of Oklahoma
Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies
National Severe Storms Laboratory
http://www.patricktmarsh.com