[Numpy-discussion] testing binary installer for OS X

Fri Feb 26 11:50:22 CST 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:44 AM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
> >>
> >> pe, 2010-02-26 kello 12:26 -0500, josef.pktd@gmail.com kirjoitti:
> >> [clip]
> >>
> >> No. The Cython-generated sources just use sizeof(PyArray_Descr), the
> >> value is not hardcoded, so it's a compile-time issue.
> >
> > So Ralf need to be sure that scipy was compiled against, say, numpy1.3.
>
> I think I mixed up some things then,
> scipy 0.7.1 cython files should be regenerated with the latest cython
> release so that it doesn't check the sizeof anymore.
> Then, a scipy 0.7.1 build against numpy 1.3 would also work without
> recompiling against numpy 1.4.1
>
> Is this correct?

Yes, but the aim of 1.4.1 is that it should work with the existing binaries
of scipy, i.e., it should be backward compatible with no changes in dtype
sizes and such so that even files generated with the old cython shouldn't
cause problems.

Chuck