[Numpy-discussion] testing binary installer for OS X

Fri Feb 26 12:26:27 CST 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:44 AM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:

> numpy1.3.
> >>
> >> I think I mixed up some things then,
> >> scipy 0.7.1 cython files should be regenerated with the latest cython
> >> release so that it doesn't check the sizeof anymore.
> >> Then, a scipy 0.7.1 build against numpy 1.3 would also work without
> >> recompiling against numpy 1.4.1
> >>
> >> Is this correct?
> >>

> > Yes, but the aim of 1.4.1 is that it should work with the existing
> binaries
> > of scipy, i.e., it should be backward compatible with no changes in dtype
> > sizes and such so that even files generated with the old cython shouldn't
> > cause problems.
>
> We had this discussion but David said that this is impossible, binary
> compatibility doesn't remove the (old) cython problem.

Depends on what you mean by binary compatibility. If something is added to
the end of a structure, then it is still backwards compatible because the
offsets of old entries don't change, but the old cython will fail in that
case because the size changes. If the sizes are all the same, then there
should be no problem and that is what we are shooting for. There are
additions to the c_api in 1.4 but I think that structure is private.

Chuck