[Numpy-discussion] Wanted: new release manager for 1.5 and above

Sat Jan 16 07:39:45 CST 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Jarrod Millman <millman@berkeley.edu>wrote:

> First I want to give David Cournapeau a big thank you for all his hard
> work as release manager for the last few years.  It is a lot of work
> and he has done a great job managing the releases (not to mention all
> the work he has done as one of the primary developers).
>
> I also want to thank Patrick Marsh and Ralf Gommers for stepping up to
> the plate and volunteering to help with the next release.  I would
> like to ask you both to consider committing to managing the next few
> releases.  I believe managing the releases takes some skills, which
> you will develop over a few releases.  It will be much better for the
> community and for the project if we can have some consistency over the
> release process.

That makes sense. I expect there's a lot to learn, so I intend to do this
for a longer time.

 I know David is willing to help you with at least
> the first release and I am happy to help as well.

That's good to hear.

> One of the things that both David and I would really like to see is
> finally moving to a time-based release.  Both of us had moved in the
> direction of a time-based release and I think David had more success
> than I did.
>
> Ideally I would like to see the two of you commit to two years as
> release managers.  So if we move to a time-based release every 6
> months, then you would be responsible for 4 releases.

I can commit to that. This is 4 increments of X in the 1.X.Y version scheme
right? So with bug fix releases there should be more than 4 in two years.
Then there's also SciPy to think about of course.

Cheers,
Ralf