[Numpy-discussion] Waf or scons/numscons for a C/Fortran/Cython/Python project -- what's your recommendation?

Sat Jan 16 13:57:57 CST 2010

Hi,

SCons can also do configuration and installation steps. David made it
possible to use SCons capabilities from distutils, but you can still
make a C/Fortran/Cython/Python project with SCons.

Matthieu

2010/1/16 Kurt Smith <kwmsmith@gmail.com>:
> My questions here concern those familiar with configure/build/install
> systems such as distutils, setuptools, scons/numscons or waf
> (particularly David Cournapeau).
>
> I'm creating a tool known as 'fwrap' that has a component that needs
> to do essentially what f2py does now -- take fortran source code and
> compile it into a python extension module.  It uses Cython to create
> the extension module, and the current configure/build/install system
> is a very kludgy monkeypatched Cython.distutils and numpy.distutils
> setup.py script.  The setup.py script works for testing on my system
> here, but for going prime time, I dread using it.  David has made his
> critiques of distutils known for scientific software, and I agree.
> What's the best alternative?
>
> More specifically: what are the pros/cons between waf and
> scons/numscons for configure/build/install of a
> Fortran-C-Cython-Python project?
>
> Is scons capable of handling the configure and install stages, or is
> it only a build system?  As I understand it, numscons is called from
> distutils; distutils handles the configure/install stages.
> Scons/numscons have more fortran support that waf, from what I can
> see.  The main downside of using scons is that I'd still have to mess
> around with distutils.
>
> It looks like waf has explicit support for all three stages, and could
> be just what I'm looking for.  David has a few threads on the
> waf-users list about getting fortran working with waf.  Has that
> progressed much?  I want to contribute to this, for the benefit of
> scipy and my project, and to limit duplicated work.  From what I
> gather, the fortran configuration stuff in numscons is separated
> nicely from the scon-specific stuff :-)  Would it be a matter of
> porting the numscons fortran stuff into waf?
>
> Any comments you have on using waf/scons for numerical projects would
> be welcome!
>
> Kurt

Information System Engineer, Ph.D.
Blog: http://matt.eifelle.com