[Numpy-discussion] numpy.test(): invalid value encountered in {isinf, divide, power, ...}

Thu Jan 21 09:06:24 CST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:03 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav+sp@iki.fi<pav%2Bsp@iki.fi>>
> wrote:
> > Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:57:01 -0500, Darren Dale wrote:
> > [clip]
> >> Warning: invalid value encountered in isinf Warning: invalid value
> >> encountered in isfinite
> > [clip]
> >
> > This is because of changed seterr() default values.
> >
> > IMHO, the 'print' default is slightly worse than the previous 'ignore'.
> > Personally, I don't see great value in the "invalid value encountered"
> > reports that are appear every time a nan is generated...
>
> I thought it was agreed that the default would be changed to warnings
> for 1.5.0 ?

It was. Well, it was agreed that the change shouldn't be made in 1.4 anyway.
I'm starting to have second thoughts also. Not so much because of the
messages emitted by the tests, but because I suspect a lot of users will be
shocked, shocked, when their old applications fill the screen with messages.
Easily fixed, but still...

Chuck