[Numpy-discussion] random v. random_state in RandomState

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Sat Jan 23 13:36:35 CST 2010

As I understand it, numpy.random provides the function ``random`` as an
alias for ``random_state``.  Might this be moved into
numpy.random.mtrand.RandomState, for interface consistency?

Right now if I start with ``prng = np.random.RandomState(seed=myseed)``
I cannot use ``prng.random`` as it does not exist.  Note that I can use
the convenience function ``prng.rand``, and its documentation makes
reference to ``random``!

Alan Isaac