[Numpy-discussion] Fixing numpy 1.4.0 ABI breakage, and a plea for self-contained, small commits

Tue Jan 26 23:15:51 CST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 10:02 PM, David Cournapeau <david@silveregg.co.jp>wrote:

> Charles R Harris wrote:
>

> > Whatever we do, it would be good to figure out some way to avoid this
> > problem in the future. We could hide access to the array, for instance.
> > But again, that would require a lot of other code mods. Hmm...
>
> That's something that we have to do at some point if we care about ABI
> (I think we should care - expecting people to recompile all the
> extensions for a new version of numpy is a big hindrance).
>
> Assuming python 1.5 will have py3k support, I was wondering about
> starting working on NumPy 2.0, with massive changes to the C API so that
> we can avoid this problem in the future: no more "naked" structures,
> much cleaner/leaner headers to avoid accidental reliance on specific
> private binary layouts, etc...

NumPy 2.0 is going to be a *lot* of work. And I've been thinking about it
lately, mostly because I was looking over the same code where you found this
problem. What I didn't know was how public the code was. Good find, BTW.

One thought was to start by separating out the ufuncs and their dependency
on ndarrays. But then I looked at the new buffer interface and it just won't
do as a replacement, no complex numbers, etc. Maybe it can be extended.
Anyway, if we make a move it needs to be well planned.

Chuck