[Numpy-discussion] Fixing numpy 1.4.0 ABI breakage, and a plea for self-contained, small commits

David Cournapeau david@silveregg.co...
Wed Jan 27 19:28:03 CST 2010

Alan G Isaac wrote:
> On 1/27/2010 7:57 PM, David Cournapeau wrote:
>> Guido explicitly asked not to break compatibility while staying under
>> py3k, so we should try to do it once numpy has been ported to py3k (e.g.
>> if numpy 1.5 still is not py3k compatible, do a 1.6 before a 2.0 -
>> iterate if necessary:)  ).
>

> This sounds very different than
> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=227041

Maybe my English is broken, as I meant exactly the same as in Guido's
post: do not break API (C API here) while porting to py3k. Making the
NumPy C API robust to changes wo constantly breaking the ABI will
require heavy changes to C structures and how they are exposed to 3rd
parties. It is impossible to do without breaking the C API.

cheers,

David