[Numpy-discussion] Fixing numpy 1.4.0 ABI breakage, and a plea for self-contained, small commits

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Wed Jan 27 19:47:33 CST 2010

On 1/27/2010 8:28 PM, David Cournapeau wrote:
> Maybe my English is broken, as I meant exactly the same as in Guido's
> post: do not break API (C API here) while porting to py3k. Making the
> NumPy C API robust to changes wo constantly breaking the ABI will
> require heavy changes to C structures and how they are exposed to 3rd
> parties. It is impossible to do without breaking the C API.

My reading is: do not see py3k as
an opportunity for API breakage.

So if breakage is know to be necessary,
do it now in a forward looking way,
so that it will not be necessary
after moving to py3k.

Quoting from http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=227041 :
"If you have make API changes, do them before you port to 3.0"

I thought you were saying the opposite of that ... ?

fwiw,
Alan