[Numpy-discussion] [ANN] New open source project for labeled arrays

Pierre GM pgmdevlist@gmail....
Wed Jan 27 21:13:10 CST 2010

On Jan 27, 2010, at 9:10 PM, Keith Goodman wrote:
> I recently opened sourced one of my packages. It is a labeled array
> that I call larry.
>
> A two-dimensional larry, for example, contains a 2d NumPy array with
> labels on each row and column. A larry can have any dimension.
>
> Alignment by label is automatic when you add (or subtract, multiply,
> divide) two larrys.
>
> larry has built-in methods such as movingsum, ranking, merge, shuffle,
> zscore, demean, lag as well as typical NumPy methods like sum, max,
> std, sign, clip. NaNs are treated as missing data.

So you can't have an integer larry with missing data ?

> You can archive larrys in HDF5 format using save and load or using a
> dictionary-like interface.
>
> I'm working towards a 0.1 release. In the meantime, comments,
> suggestions, critiques are all appreciated.

I'll have to check it (hopefully I'll have a bit more time in the next couple of weeks), but what are the main differences/advantages of using your approach compared to pandas or tabular ?