[Numpy-discussion] [ANN] New open source project for labeled arrays

Bruce Southey bsouthey@gmail....
Thu Jan 28 08:53:44 CST 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Keith Goodman <kwgoodman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Pierre GM <pgmdevlist@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 27, 2010, at 9:10 PM, Keith Goodman wrote:
>>> I recently opened sourced one of my packages. It is a labeled array
>>> that I call larry.
>>>
>>> A two-dimensional larry, for example, contains a 2d NumPy array with
>>> labels on each row and column. A larry can have any dimension.
>>>
>>> Alignment by label is automatic when you add (or subtract, multiply,
>>> divide) two larrys.
>>>
>>> larry has built-in methods such as movingsum, ranking, merge, shuffle,
>>> zscore, demean, lag as well as typical NumPy methods like sum, max,
>>> std, sign, clip. NaNs are treated as missing data.
>>
>> So you can't have an integer larry with missing data ?
>
> No.

(No means yes??? :-) )

So how do you distinguish between a real NaN and a missing value?
(Having to check array before and after an operation is not fun.)
This is one of the reasons why masked arrays are superior for missing values.

Bruce