[Numpy-discussion] [ANN] Bento (ex-toydist) 0.0.3

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Fri Jul 2 00:11:47 CDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Robert Pyle <rpyle@post.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While I agree that toydist needs a new name, Bento might not be a good
> choice.  It's already the name of a database system for Macintosh from
> Filemaker, an Apple subsidiary.  I'd be *very* surprised if the name
> Bento is not copyrighted.

Can you copyright a word ? I thought this was the trademark part of
the law. For example, "linux" is a trademark owned by Linus Torvald.
Also, well known packages use words which are at least as common as
bento in English (sphinx, twisted, etc...), and as likely to be
trademarked. But IANAL...

cheers,

David