[Numpy-discussion] OT: request help building pymex win64

Robin robince@gmail....
Fri Jul 2 11:37:41 CDT 2010

Hi,

Sorry for the offtopic post but I wondered if any Windows experts who
are familiar with topics like linking python on windows and visual
studio runtimes etc. might be able to help.

I'm on a bit of a mission to get pymex built for 64 bit windows. Pymex
( http://github.com/kw/pymex ) is a matlab package that embeds the
Python interpreter in a mex file and provides a very elegant interface
for manipulating python objects from matlab, as well as converting
between data times when necessary. It builds easily on mac, linux and
win32 with mingw, but I really need it also for 64 bit windows. (It
works very well with numpy as well so not completely OT).

I have looked at trying to get a 64bit mingw  working to build mex
files, but that seemed quite difficult, so instead I am trying to
build with VS 2008 Express Edition + Windows 7 SDK (for 64 bit
support). As far as I can tell this is installed OK as I can build the
example mex64 files OK.

I have made some modifications to pymex to get it to build under vs
2008 ( http://github.com/robince/pymex/tree/win64 ).

And I can get it to build and link (I believe using the implicit dll
method of linking against C:\Python26\libs\python26.lib of the amd64
python.org python) without errors, but when I run it seems to
segfaults whenever a pointer is passed between the mex side and
python26.dll.

I asked this stackoverflow question which has some more details (build log)
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3167134/trying-to-embed-python-into-matlab-mex-win64

Anyway I'm completely in the dark but wondered if some of the experts
on here would be able to spot something (perhaps to do with
incompatible C runtimes - I am not sure what runtime Python is built
with but I thought it was VS 2008).

Cheers

Robin