[Numpy-discussion] OT: request help building pymex win64

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Fri Jul 2 12:10:31 CDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 1:58 AM, Robin <robince@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 5:47 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The problem may be that matlab is built with one runtime, and Python
>> with another.... Unless your matlab is very recent, it is actually
>> quite likely to be compiled with VS 2005, which means you should use
>> python 2.5 instead (or built python2.6 with VS 2005, but I am not sure
>> it is even possible without herculean efforts).
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> I thought of that, but then VS 2008 is an officially supported
> compiler for the version of matlab I am using (2009a).
> http://www.mathworks.com/support/compilers/release2009a/win64.html

What mathworks means by supported may not include what you are doing,
though. Generally,on windows, people design API to be independent of
runtimes (because you more or less have to), and do not use much of
the standard C library anyway. This is not true for python. IOW,
supporting VS 2008 does not mean built with 2008, that's a limitation
of python (and also caused by the desire of MS to complete screw up
the C library, but that's another story).

Also, matlab could be built with 2008, and not use the same runtime as
python. Even if the same version is used in both python and matlab,
but the process uses two copies, the issues remain the same. You
should use depends.exe to check for this (and maybe the MS debugger as
well).

Also, I would double check the issue is not something else altogether,

David