[Numpy-discussion] [OT] Re: debian benchmarks

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo....
Sun Jul 4 17:51:21 CDT 2010

Pauli Virtanen <pav <at> iki.fi> writes:

-snip-
> It's possible that in the cases where Lua wins, the Lua code is not
> completely equivalent to the Fortran code, or uses stuff such as strings
> for which Lua's default implementation may be efficient.

Note - not "Lua's default implementation" but LuaJIT.

> At least in the mandelbrot example some things differ. I wonder if Lua
> there takes advantage of SIMD instructions because the author of the code
> has manually changed the inmost loop to process two elements at once?

Note - the fastest Fortran mandelbrot program is written to use OpenMP, but
those u32 measurements are when the programs are forced onto one core.