[Numpy-discussion] BOF notes: Fernando's proposal: NumPy ndarray with named axes

Skipper Seabold jsseabold@gmail....
Tue Jul 6 10:25:11 CDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Joshua Holbrook
<josh.holbrook@gmail.com> wrote:
> I really really really want to work on this. I already forked datarray
> on github and did some research on What Other People Have Done (
> http://jesusabdullah.github.com/2010/07/02/datarray.html ). With any
> luck I'll contribute something actually useful. :)
>
> Anyways!
>
> --Josh

Thanks, Josh.  Also note this page here
<http://scipy.org/StatisticalDataStructures> that I think I already
mentioned to you.

The pandas and larry guys have spent a good deal of time discussing
this already, especially with respect to speed and timings (ie.,
DatArray will most likely need to be optimized).  I think Keith
already has a benchmark script somewhere(?).  We have already had
discussions on the pystatsmodels mailing list over here
<http://groups.google.ca/group/pystatsmodels>, so you might want to
search a bit, though I think it's time to move the discussion to the
numpy list here.

And of course, please make use of the mailing list for design choices,
questions, and soliciting feedback, as I think this project is of
interest to many people.

Cheers,

Skipper