[Numpy-discussion] BOF notes: Fernando's proposal: NumPy ndarray with named axes

Skipper Seabold jsseabold@gmail....
Tue Jul 6 11:42:19 CDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Joshua Holbrook
<josh.holbrook@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm kinda-sorta still getting around to building/reading the sphinx
> docs for datarray. <_< Like, I've gone through them before, but it was
> more cursory than I'd like. Honestly, I kinda let myself get caught up
> in trying to automate the process of getting them onto github pages.
>
> I have to admit that I didn't 100% understand the reasoning behind not
> allowing integer ticks (I blame jet lag--it's a nice scapegoat). I
> believe it originally had to do with what you meant if you typed, say,
> A[3:"london"]; Did you mean the underlying ndarray index 3, or the
> outer level "tick" 3? I think if you didn't allow integers, then you
> could simply wrap your "3" in a string: A["3":"London"] so it's
> probably not a deal-breaker, but I would imagine that using (a)
> separate method(s) for label-based indexing may make allowing
> integer-datatyped labels.
>
> Thoughts?

Would you mind bottom-posting/ posting in-line to make the thread
easier to follow?

> --Josh
>
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Keith Goodman <kwgoodman@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> FYI, if you didn't see it, there are also usage docs in dataarray/doc
>>> that you can build with sphinx that show a lot of the thinking and
>>> examples (they spent time looking at pandas and larry).
>>>
>>> One question that was asked of Wes, that I'd propose to you as well
>>> Keith, is that if DataArray became part of NumPy, do you think you
>>> could use it to work on top of for larry?
>>
>> This is all very exciting. I did not know that DataArray had ticks so
>> I never took a close look at it.
>>
>> After reading the sphinx doc, one question I had was how firm is the
>> decision to not allow integer ticks? I use int ticks a lot.

I think what Josh said is right.  However, we proposed having all of
the new labeled axis access pushed to a .aix (or whatever) method, so
as to avoid any confusion, as the original object can be accessed just
as an ndarray.  I'm not sure where this leaves us vis-a-vis ints as
ticks.

Skipper