[Numpy-discussion] BOF notes: Fernando's proposal: NumPy ndarray with named axes

Keith Goodman kwgoodman@gmail....
Tue Jul 6 11:56:47 CDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Joshua Holbrook <josh.holbrook@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Skipper Seabold <jsseabold@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Joshua Holbrook
>> <josh.holbrook@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm kinda-sorta still getting around to building/reading the sphinx
>>> docs for datarray. <_< Like, I've gone through them before, but it was
>>> more cursory than I'd like. Honestly, I kinda let myself get caught up
>>> in trying to automate the process of getting them onto github pages.
>>>
>>> I have to admit that I didn't 100% understand the reasoning behind not
>>> allowing integer ticks (I blame jet lag--it's a nice scapegoat). I
>>> believe it originally had to do with what you meant if you typed, say,
>>> A[3:"london"]; Did you mean the underlying ndarray index 3, or the
>>> outer level "tick" 3? I think if you didn't allow integers, then you
>>> could simply wrap your "3" in a string: A["3":"London"] so it's
>>> probably not a deal-breaker, but I would imagine that using (a)
>>> separate method(s) for label-based indexing may make allowing
>>> integer-datatyped labels.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Would you mind bottom-posting/ posting in-line to make the thread
>> easier to follow?
>>

>>> --Josh

>> I think what Josh said is right.  However, we proposed having all of
>> the new labeled axis access pushed to a .aix (or whatever) method, so
>> as to avoid any confusion, as the original object can be accessed just
>> as an ndarray.  I'm not sure where this leaves us vis-a-vis ints as
>> ticks.
>>
>> Skipper
>>

> Sorry re: posting at-top. I guess habit surpassed observation of
> community norms for a second there. Whups!
>
> My opinion on the matter is that, as a matter of "purity," labels
> should all have the string datatype. That said, I'd imagine that
> passing an int as an argument would be fine, due to python's
> loosey-goosey attitude towards datatypes. :) That, or, y'know,
> str(myint).

Ideally (for me), the only requirement for ticks would be hashable and
unique along any one axis. So, for example, datetime.date() could be a
tick but a list could not be a tick (not hashable).