[Numpy-discussion] BOF notes: Fernando's proposal: NumPy ndarray with named axes

David Warde-Farley dwf@cs.toronto....
Wed Jul 7 10:40:43 CDT 2010

On 2010-07-07, at 9:52 AM, Bruce Southey wrote:

> This is very interesting work especially if can be used to extend or
> replace the current record arrays (and perhaps structured arrays).

It's unlikely that this would happen. They serve a different purpose, as far as I can tell. It would be perfectly acceptable to have structured arrays with axis labels, for example.

> If it can not then you really need to make a case for yet another data
> structure. Currently we will have all these unnecessary and incompatible
> hybrids rather than a single option - competition is not good.  I really
> dislike the current impasse with numpy's Matrix class and do not wish
> this to happen again.

There was discussion a month or two ago about deprecating matrix-array operations that introduced ambiguity, and I still think that's a reasonable compromise for people who like the matrix class for teaching.

David