[Numpy-discussion] BOF notes: Fernando's proposal: NumPy ndarray with named axes

Rob Speer rspeer@MIT....
Thu Jul 8 16:39:13 CDT 2010

>> Still, I have a question. Did you also agree that this should forcibly index
>> through ticks?
>>
>>  arr.something[int]      -> tick-based indexing
>>

> Yes.

I feel like people are talking about different things because it's
unclear what the .something is.

If the .something is an axis name, then no. arr.year[0] should get the
first year in the data, not the data from the "year 0".

If the .something is the attribute we use for named lookup (such as
".named"), then yes. arr.named[2006] should get whatever tick is named
2006 on the first axis.
-- Rob