[Numpy-discussion] BOF notes: Fernando's proposal: NumPy ndarray with named axes

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Jul 8 17:09:43 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 18:00, Bruce Southey <bsouthey@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>
>> I feel like people are talking about different things because it's
>> unclear what the .something is.
>>
>> If the .something is an axis name, then no. arr.year[0] should get the
>> first year in the data, not the data from the "year 0".
>>
>> If the .something is the attribute we use for named lookup (such as
>> ".named"), then yes. arr.named[2006] should get whatever tick is named
>> 2006 on the first axis.
>> -- Rob
>
> Then how is this not different than a record array?

A record array lets you label exactly one notional "axis" (which isn't
actually an axis as far as numpy is concerned). This lets you label
all of the axes in a multidimensional array.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco