[Numpy-discussion] BOF notes: Fernando's proposal: NumPy ndarray with named axes

Skipper Seabold jsseabold@gmail....
Thu Jul 8 22:15:34 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Lluís <xscript@gmx.net> wrote:
> Another reason to have multiple variables, is that the insertion of NaNs to
> maintain shape homogeneity will make these "synthetic" NaNs undistinguishable
> from other NaNs that might be on your original input data, unless you use a
> masked array or something similar to distinguish them.

I've often wondered why there isn't an explicit type for missing
values.  Something like what Stata has

http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?missing

It seems like this could be implemented in a pretty straightforward
and costless way, though it's unclear to me how right now.