[Numpy-discussion] BOF notes: Fernando's?proposal:?NumPy?ndarray with named axes

Mon Jul 12 10:29:43 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 01:04:55PM +0000, Neil Crighton wrote:
> Thanks, that's a really nice description. Instead of

> data.ax_day.mean(axis=0)

> I think it would be clearer to do something like

> data.mean(axis='day')

Yes, that's even better. The problem is that it does not extend to
operations that are not methods of the ndarray. This is why both
approaches are useful.

Anyhow, these developments do make me excited, and I am much looking
forward at the prospect of cleaning up our codebase using these features.

Gaël