[Numpy-discussion] Python 2.7 MSI installer for NumPy

Christoph Gohlke cgohlke@uci....
Sun Jul 18 17:06:28 CDT 2010

On 7/18/2010 2:20 PM, David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Peter
> <numpy-discussion@maubp.freeserve.co.uk>  wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 6:02 PM, cool-RR<cool-rr@cool-rr.com>  wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>> I'd appreciate if the NumPy team could provide an MSI installer
>>> for Python 2.7.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ram Rachum.
>>
>> You're not the only person who would like this - it was discussed
>> here just 9 days ago, thread title "A release for python 2.7?", and
>> the conclusion was we'd have to wait for Numpy 1.5, probably in
>> August.
>
> It seems that building from the 1.4.x branch works out of the box, so
> at least a numpy msi should be straightforward,

Binaries built from the numpy 1.4.x branch do crash on Python 2.7
because of this: http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1345. The fix is
easy to backport (attached). Until yesterday another reason not to
release numpy 1.4.1 binaries for Python 2.7 was the projected use of
PyCapsule instead of PyCObject in numpy 1.5+.

--
Christoph