[Numpy-discussion] Python 2.7 MSI installer for NumPy

Mon Jul 19 08:53:11 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 6:06 AM, Christoph Gohlke <cgohlke@uci.edu> wrote:

> On 7/18/2010 2:20 PM, David Cournapeau wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Peter
>> <numpy-discussion@maubp.freeserve.co.uk>  wrote:

>>> You're not the only person who would like this - it was discussed
>>> here just 9 days ago, thread title "A release for python 2.7?", and
>>> the conclusion was we'd have to wait for Numpy 1.5, probably in
>>> August.
>>>

>> It seems that building from the 1.4.x branch works out of the box, so
>> at least a numpy msi should be straightforward,
>>

> Binaries built from the numpy 1.4.x branch do crash on Python 2.7 because
> of this: http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1345. The fix is easy to
> backport (attached). Until yesterday another reason not to release numpy
> 1.4.1 binaries for Python 2.7 was the projected use of PyCapsule instead of
> PyCObject in numpy 1.5+.
>
> I don't think we can apply this patch, compile some binaries and still call
it 1.4.1. It would be 1.4.2, which wouldn't take that much less time to
arrive than 1.5.0. Maybe it does make sense to apply the patch for people
wanting to create their own binaries, or in (the not so likely) case there
is another reason to release 1.4.2.

Cheers,
Ralf