[Numpy-discussion] numpy for Python 3?

Vincent Schut schut@sarvision...
Mon Jul 19 08:56:15 CDT 2010

On 07/19/2010 03:34 PM, Richard D. Moores wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 06:15, Vincent Schut<schut@sarvision.nl>  wrote:

>>> I'm not a python beginner. Why did you assume I was?
>>
>> I appologize, then. This, however, made me think you were:
>> 'Now what? "Try simple commands"? Like "Lemme outta here!"?'
>> Now english is not my native language, so some subtle humour might have
>> escaped me and I may have understood that entirely wrong... :-)
>
> Oh, that's OK. But it's otherwise hard to believe English is not your
> native language.
Ha, thanks :-) Dutch it is, however realizing that we're just a tiny
speck on the world's stage we get tought english from our 10th...

>>> Yes, I have that understanding.
>> Good.
>> The fact that you were starting python from the Python31 folder, and
>> then typed 'now what?' gave me the idea you did not...

>>> No, I fail your number 3.
>>
>> Well, than you've come along quite far already, and are on the right
>> list :-)
>> Then, please post the output of your 'python setup.py build' command,
>> which will give us some clues about *why* you fail... (or, if the output
>> is long, try to find the relevant lines indicating where and what goes
>> wrong)
>
> I posted the output as an attached text file in my reply to Dave. Not
> sure that got to the list as I'm not familiar with the list's rules
> about attachments.

I, my fault then, I didn't see that. Seen & read it now, though. I'm not
a windows users, and am afraid that I can't help you any further anymore
with this as your problems seem to be pretty much windows/msvc
related... Others on this list will know more, probably.

>>> Thanks, Vincent. And I am more comfortable with pre-built packages.
>> Most of us are ;-) But sometimes you just need to bite the bullet...
>
> I'm biting, I'm biting (that's another kind of U.S. joking). Actually,
> several years ago I was using Ulipad, an IDE for Python. It was under
> active development and frequently updated via svn. So I had and used
> TortoiseSVN then, but on an old computer.  So I'm starting over
> getting the details of how to use it back.
Ha, I've used ulipad too. Mostly because it's lean 'n mean and doesn't
force you to create an entire 'project' to just create a new python
script (like eclipse/pydev et.al. do). Have newer hardware now, so the
lean 'n' mean argument is of less significance, but still use it
sometimes for some quick hacking...