[Numpy-discussion] Numpy installation problem

Jonathan Tu jhtu@princeton....
Sat Jul 24 17:12:06 CDT 2010

On Jul 24, 2010, at 6:09 PM, David Cournapeau wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 7:00 AM, Jonathan Tu <jhtu@princeton.edu> wrote:
>>> If you install shared libraries into a directory which is not looked
>>> in by default by ld, you should add it to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, e.g.:
>>>
>>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH python -c "import numpy"
>>>
>>> David
>>
>> Ok, that makes sense to me.  I tried to see what the current value is by doing
>>        echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> It is very possible that you don't have it defined by default on your
> platform. The undefined variable may be a peculiarity of the cshell -
> the instructions I gave you assumed a bourne shell or compatible.
>
> David

Ok, I assumed as much and proceeded by simply setting the environment variable.  I did not add the part where you said
	python -c "import numpy"

What does that part do?  It turns out that by fixing my library path, numpy now imports.  I assume that my installation of h5py doesn't need to be redone just because I reinstalled Numpy?

Jonathan Tu