[Numpy-discussion] Problem with importing numpy in Ubuntu

Sebastian Haase seb.haase@gmail....
Tue Jul 27 09:42:33 CDT 2010

The origin of this problem is the fact that Python supports (at least)
2 types of Unicode:
2 bytes and/or 4 bytes per character.

Additionally, for some incomprehensible reason the Python source code
(as downloaded from python.org) defaults to 2ByteUnicode whereas
all (major) Linux distributions default to 4ByteUnicode.....

( check >>> sys.maxunicode   to see what you have; I get  1114111, i.e
>65535 , so I have 4 byte (on Debian) )

So, most likely you have some "hand compiled" Python somewhere ....

- Sebastian Haase