[Numpy-discussion] py3k execfile('setup.py')

Thu Jul 29 10:39:19 CDT 2010

Hi,

The execfile builtin has disappeared in python 3.x, so I'm trying to find
another solution for the use of it in setupegg.py. So far I've tried

if sys.version_info[0] >= 3:
    # 3.x doesn't have execfile anymore, so we define our own
    # The code below is syntactically valid 2.x, but 2.x thinks that a tuple
    # gets passed to the exec statement. (from Twisted)
    def execfile(filename, globals=None, locals=None):
        exec(compile(open(filename).read(), filename, 'exec'), globals,
locals)

and:

if sys.version_info[0] >= 3:
    import imp
    setupfile = imp.load_source('setupfile', 'setup.py')
    setupfile.setup_package()

Both of the above attempts hang at:
$ paver dmg -p 3.1
---> pavement.dmg
---> pavement.clean
LDFLAGS='-undefined dynamic_lookup -bundle -arch i386 -arch ppc
-Wl,-search_paths_first -Lbuild'
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.1/bin/python3 setupegg.py
bdist_mpkg
Converting to Python3 via 2to3...

Looks like the combination of setuptools, numpy.distutils and 2to3 is too
much for me to wrap my head around. Anyone have an idea?

Cheers,
Ralf