[Numpy-discussion] C vs. Fortran order -- misleading documentation?

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith@gmail....
Tue Jun 8 01:10:39 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 4:52 AM, Pavel Bazant <MaxPlanck@seznam.cz> wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong, but the paragraph
>
> Note to those used to IDL or Fortran memory order as it relates to
> indexing. Numpy uses C-order indexing. That means that the last index
> usually (see xxx for exceptions) represents the most rapidly changing memory
> location, unlike Fortran or IDL, where the first index represents the most
> rapidly changing location in memory. This difference represents a great
> potential for confusion.
>
> in
>
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/user/basics.indexing.html
>
> is quite misleading, as C-order means that the last index changes rapidly,
> not the
> memory location.
>
> Pavel

Sounds correct (your criticism, that is) but I'm no expert, so I'm going to
wait another 12 hours or so - to give others a chance to chime in - before
correcting it.

DG

by Robert Graves)