[Numpy-discussion] numpy.savez does /not/ compress!?

Hans Meine meine@informatik.uni-hamburg...
Tue Jun 8 05:03:46 CDT 2010

On Tuesday 08 June 2010 11:40:59 Scott Sinclair wrote:
> The savez docstring should probably be clarified to provide this
> information.

I would prefer to actually offer compression to the user.  Unfortunately,
adding another argument to this function will never be 100% secure, since
currently, all kwargs will be saved into the zip, so it could count as
behaviour change.

I would propose sth. like the attached patch.  (I only chose ZIP_STORED as
default for maximum backward compatibility.)

> I guess that the default (uncompressed Zip) is used because specifying
> the compression as ZIP_DEFLATED requires zlib to be installed on the
> system (see zipfile.ZipFile docstring).

Yes, that was my thought, too.  Nevertheless, numpy might make a different
decision, no?

Ciao,
  Hans