[Numpy-discussion] updating NumPy in EPD

Nick Matzke matzke@berkeley....
Tue Jun 8 21:30:20 CDT 2010

Hi NumPy gurus,

I have a slightly weird question.  I would like to install
the PyCogent python library.  However, this requires NumPy
1.3 or higher.  I only have NumPy 1.1.1, because I got it as
part of the Enthought Python Distribution (4.1) back in 2008.

Now, when I download & install a new version of NumPy, the
install seems to work.  However, the PyCogent installer can
still only see the NumPy 1.1.1 version.

Any advice on what I might do to fix this?

I would just update my version of EPD, which is
where my NumPy came from -- however, Enthought only has
available for academic download a version of EPD that works
on OS X 10.5 or later, and my Mac is a 10.4.11 and I'd
rather not completely reinstall the OS just to get one
little library to work.

Any help much appreciated!!

Cheers!
Nick

Nicholas J. Matzke
Ph.D. Candidate, Graduate Student Researcher
Huelsenbeck Lab
Center for Theoretical Evolutionary Genomics
4151 VLSB (Valley Life Sciences Building)
Department of Integrative Biology
University of California, Berkeley

Graduate Student Instructor, IB200A
Principles of Phylogenetics: Systematics
http://ib.berkeley.edu/courses/ib200a/index.shtml

Lab websites:
http://ib.berkeley.edu/people/lab_detail.php?lab=54
http://fisher.berkeley.edu/cteg/hlab.html
Dept. personal page:
http://ib.berkeley.edu/people/students/person_detail.php?person=370
Lab personal page:
http://fisher.berkeley.edu/cteg/members/matzke.html
Lab phone: 510-643-6299
Dept. fax: 510-643-6264
Cell phone: 510-301-0179
Email: matzke@berkeley.edu

Mailing address:
Department of Integrative Biology
3060 VLSB #3140
Berkeley, CA 94720-3140

"[W]hen people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong.
When people thought the earth was spherical, they were
wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical
is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your
view is wronger than both of them put together."

Isaac Asimov (1989). "The Relativity of Wrong." The
Skeptical Inquirer, 14(1), 35-44. Fall 1989.
http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScience/RelativityofWrong.htm