[Numpy-discussion] NumPy re-factoring project

Sturla Molden sturla@molden...
Thu Jun 10 12:17:08 CDT 2010

Another suggestion I'd like to make is bytearray as memory buffer for
the ndarray. An ndarray could just store or extend a bytearray, instead
of having to deal with malloc/free and and the mess that comes with it.
Python takes care of the reference counts for bytearrays, and ctypes
calls the NumPy core DLL. Yes it will not work with older versions of
Python. But for a complete refactoring ("NumPy 3000"), backwards
compatibility should not matter much. (It's easier to backport bytearray
than track down memory leaks in NumPy's core.)

Sturla