[Numpy-discussion] NumPy re-factoring project

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Sat Jun 12 22:47:12 CDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla@molden.no> wrote:

> If NumPy does not allocate memory on it's own, there will be no leaks
> due to errors in NumPy.
>
> There is still work to do in the core, i.e. the computational loops in
> array operators, broadcasting, ufuncs, copying data between buffers, etc.
>
> The C functions in the core would then be called with the output array
> already allocated.

This only works in simple cases. What do you do when you don't know
the output size ? How do you deal with reallocation ? How do you deal
with ufunc and broadcasting buffering without allocating in the
library ? I don't see how that's possible. Before calling things
stupid, you better have a solution to those issues,

David