[Numpy-discussion] Is numpy ignoring CFLAGS?

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Mon Jun 28 08:54:35 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kirkby@onetel.net> wrote:
> On 06/28/10 11:28 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 6:56 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
>
>>> Many other parts of Sage seem to inherit the flags ok from Python, but not numpy.
>>
>> Are you saying that OPT is not taken into account ? It seems to work
>> for me, e.g.
>>
>> OPT="-m64" python setup.py build_ext
>>
>> does put -m64 somewhere in CFLAGS. When using numpy.distutils, CFLAGS
>> should never be overriden unless you are ready to set up the whole set
>> of options manually. By default, CFLAGS is the concatenation of
>> BASECFLAGS, OPT and CCSHARED (in that order), and only OPT should be
>> tweaked in general.
>>
>> David
>

> OPT is not being totally ignored, but some part of numpy is trying to build
> without taking -m64 into account.
>
> Note in the output below that as numpy is compiled, -m64 is shown on some lines,
> which is what I expect. But note also the messages about "wrong ELF class:
> ELFCLASS64" from the linker, indicating to me the linker is not expecting to
> find 64-bit objects.

Ah, that makes the issue much clearer: the linker is not passed the
-m64 option. It works with distutils because CFLAGS is appended to
LDFLAGS if CFLAGS is in os.environ,but we use CFLAGS differently.

I am not sure how to fix that issue...

David