[Numpy-discussion] Building Numpy Windows Superpack

Patrick Marsh patrickmarshwx@gmail....
Thu Mar 4 07:40:22 CST 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:12 PM, David Cournapeau <david@silveregg.co.jp>wrote:

> Patrick Marsh wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:48 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com
> > <mailto:cournape@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> >     That's a bug in the pavement script - on windows 7, some env
> variables
> >     are necessary to run python correctly, which were not necessary for
> >     windows < 7. I will fix this.
>
> This is fixed in both trunk and 1.4.x now. I have not tested it, though.

I just ran it (slightly modified to use MSVC instead of MinGW) and it built
using Python 2.6 no problem.  It started to build for Python 2.5, but I had
to nix that since I don't have MSVC7.1 installed on this machine yet.

> > Okay, I had been removing the build and dist directories but didn't
> > realize I needed to remove the numpy directory in the site-packages
> > directory.  Deleting this last directory fixed the "matrix" issues and
> > I'm now left with the two failures.  The latter failure doesn't seem to
> > really be an issue to me and the first one is the same error that Ralf
> > posted earlier - so for Python 2.5, I've got it working.  However,
> > Python 2.6.4 still freezes on the test suite.  I'll have to look more
> > into this today, but for reference, has anyone successfully built Numpy
> > from the 1.4.x branch, on Windows 7, using Python 2.6.4?
>
> This is almost always a problem with the C runtime. Those are a big PITA
> to debug/understand/fix. You built this with Mingw, right ? The first
> thing to check is whether you have several C runtimes loaded: you can
> check this with the problem depends.exe: http://www.dependencywalker.com
>
> I will try to look at this myself - I have only attempted Visual Studio
> builds on Windows 7 so far,

I was able to build Numpy for Python 2.6 by using Visual Studio, and the
only test failure I get is the complex number test that everyone else gets
as well.  However, I'll still try to figure out what was up with the MinGW
install.

Just as an aside, the Numpy installer for Python 2.6 has always run really
slow when compiling and optimizing.  Consequently, the first time I import
and use Numpy with Python 2.6, it is extremely slow.  This is independent of
building using MinGW or MSVC, 1.4.x branch or trunk.  I don't have this slow
down with the Python 2.5 installer, nor when I import and use Numpy with
Python 2.5.

Thanks for the help!

Patrick

> cheers,
>
> David

Patrick Marsh
Ph.D. Student / NSSL Liaison to the HWT
School of Meteorology / University of Oklahoma
Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies
National Severe Storms Laboratory
http://www.patricktmarsh.com