[Numpy-discussion] Building Numpy Windows Superpack

Patrick Marsh patrickmarshwx@gmail....
Thu Mar 4 22:22:29 CST 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:12 PM, David Cournapeau <david@silveregg.co.jp>wrote:

> Patrick Marsh wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:48 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com
> > <mailto:cournape@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> >     That's a bug in the pavement script - on windows 7, some env
> variables
> >     are necessary to run python correctly, which were not necessary for
> >     windows < 7. I will fix this.
>
> This is fixed in both trunk and 1.4.x now. I have not tested it, though.

I've hacked the pavement script to check for the version of python I'm using
to build with and have it use MinGW for versions Python 2.5 and earlier and
MSVC for Python 2.6 and later.  I hope to install MSVC7.1 tomorrow...if I
can find my disks.  Then I should be able to build entirely with MSVC.  I'm
assuming we want to build the official binaries using the same tools for
both Python 2.5 and Python 2.6?

> > Okay, I had been removing the build and dist directories but didn't
> > realize I needed to remove the numpy directory in the site-packages
> > directory.  Deleting this last directory fixed the "matrix" issues and
> > I'm now left with the two failures.  The latter failure doesn't seem to
> > really be an issue to me and the first one is the same error that Ralf
> > posted earlier - so for Python 2.5, I've got it working.  However,
> > Python 2.6.4 still freezes on the test suite.  I'll have to look more
> > into this today, but for reference, has anyone successfully built Numpy
> > from the 1.4.x branch, on Windows 7, using Python 2.6.4?
>
> This is almost always a problem with the C runtime. Those are a big PITA
> to debug/understand/fix. You built this with Mingw, right ? The first
> thing to check is whether you have several C runtimes loaded: you can
> check this with the problem depends.exe: http://www.dependencywalker.com

I've run the Numpy superpack installer for Python 2.6 built with MinGW
through the dependency walker.  Unfortunately, outside of checking for some
extremely obviously things, I'm in way over my head in interpreting the
output (although, I'd like to learn).  I've put the output from the program
here:
http://www.patricktmarsh.com/numpy/20100303.py26.superpack.dependencies.txt.
 I can also put the binary up somewhere, too if someone wants to check that.

I still have concerns as to why the creation of the .pyc and .pyo files when
I use the Python 2.6 installer takes so long.  I didn't check yet (I'll do
that tomorrow), but I'm wondering if they are actually being created.  I
know the first time I use a new tool in Numpy on Python 2.6 that it takes
considerably longer to execute than on Python 2.5.  The second time I use a
function, the speed is identical on between both versions.

Thanks again for your help.  I've learned a lot the last two weeks about the
build process.  I have a much deeper appreciation of what you've been doing
for awhile now!

Cheers,
Patrick

> I will try to look at this myself - I have only attempted Visual Studio
> builds on Windows 7 so far,
>
> cheers,
>
> David

Patrick Marsh
Ph.D. Student / NSSL Liaison to the HWT
School of Meteorology / University of Oklahoma
Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies
National Severe Storms Laboratory
http://www.patricktmarsh.com