[Numpy-discussion] Documentation for dtypes with named fields

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Tue Mar 16 08:14:38 CDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Sam Tygier
<Sam.Tygier@hep.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I can't find much documentation for using arrays where the dtype has named fields (is there a term for this sort of array). there is some in
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/arrays.dtypes.html
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/generated/numpy.dtype.html
> but that's most creation.

structured arrays, or structured dtypes (similar to recarrays but simpler)

http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/user/basics.rec.html
http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/Recarray

the best information, I think, is on the mailing list, search for
structured array

e.g. slicing is not possible, slicing requires a view as regular ndarray

there are some slightly hidden (because still work in progress) helper functions
>>> import numpy.lib.recfunctions
>>> dir(numpy.lib.recfunctions)

Josef