[Numpy-discussion] numpy.gradient() does not return ndarray subclasses

Ryan May rmay31@gmail....
Thu Mar 18 13:15:54 CDT 2010

Hi,

Can I get someone to look at: http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1435

Basically, numpy.gradient() uses numpy.zeros() to create an output
array.  This breaks the use of any ndarray subclasses, like masked
arrays, since the function will only return
ndarrays.  I've attached a patch that fixes that problem and has a
simple test checking output types. With this patch, I can use gradient
on masked arrays and get appropriately masked output.

If we could, it'd be nice to get this in for 2.0 so that I (and my
coworkers who found the bug) don't have to use a custom patched
gradient until the next release after that.

Thanks,

Ryan

--
Ryan May