[Numpy-discussion] Help!!! Docstrings overrun by markup crap.

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Sat Mar 20 13:52:35 CDT 2010

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 12:15 PM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Charles R Harris
>> <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Example,

>> > Arrggghhhh... Totally. Unreadable. Why not say the columns of q are
>> > orthonormal vectors and r is upper triangular? The math tutorial should
>> > go
>> > in the notes, if anywhere. Might mention that this is a 'thin'
>> > factorization
>> > (Golub). Let me propose a rule: no math markup in the summary, ever.

>> > Oh, come now, "true", "polluted"? Sounds a bit political... Actually,
>> > 'economic' contains info on the Householder reflections. In any case,
>> > why
>> > mention it at all, just refer to the return documentation. And wouldn't
>> > values be a better word than information?

>> > WTF? I'm seeing stars.
>>
>> As far as I know, stars are the only way to render a list in
>> restructured txt, otherwise it looses the list formatting. I tried
>> several versions, but never found a different way. (I don't remember
>> whether the empty lines are strictly necessary in sphinx docs, but
>> they are in rst.)
>>

> But they can't be read on a terminal. The Numpy docstring format was
> designed to save vertical space, all those stars and blank lines undoes that
> effort.
>
>> But, the markup creates nice hml and htmlhelp docs, and it can be
>> published as pdf.
>>

> If we need that, let's fix the numpy format so we can get rid of the stars.
> Personally, I think the html docs should be secondary, i.e., as long as we
> are stuck with terminals, screen readability comes first.

What's a terminal ?  For most packages, I'm reading sphinx generated docs.

(I know I'm an outlier compared to the "usual" users on the mailing list.)

Josef