[Numpy-discussion] Help!!! Docstrings overrun by markup crap.

Sat Mar 20 23:24:25 CDT 2010

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Charles R Harris <
> charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Ralf Gommers <
>> ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> want a list that does not use if's? If this can be made to work, great, but
>>> it will probably be much more robust if there's some kind of markup. Stars
>>> or dashes would not look that bad imho if there would be no need for blank
>>> lines.
>>>

>> That was just a suggestion, I think it can probably be improved upon.
>> Thoughts?
>>

> In general a list should just be defined with *. Like:
> * item 1
>     * sub-item 1
>       Hey, a multi-line sub-item works too!
>     * sub-item 2
> * item 2

I really, really want to get rid of the asterisks, they are ugly and
distracting (IMHO). Unlike dashes, colons, and underlines they aren't part
of the usual textual repetoire.

> In the specific case of a variable number of return values, I do not like
> the if..else construction. How about this:
>
> q : ndarray
>     The q-value. If mode='r' this contains ....
>     If mode='economic' ....
> r : ndarray, optional
>     The r-value. Is only returned if mode='r'.

In the case at hand, q is optional and r has two forms.

> 'optional' could be changed to 'conditional' or something like that.

Chuck